The House of Providence gets Electric Light in 1894

BY VERONICA STIENBURG, ARCHIVIST
Electricity didn’t come to Kingston until the Kingston Electric Light Company was incorporated in 1886, and it built the first electric light plant in 1888 at the foot of Brock Street. But when did the Sisters of Providence first get electricity? According to the Congregational Annals they first brought electric light to the House of Providence, Kingston in the Spring of 1894. Let’s follow the story through extracts from the Annals:

February 6, 1894 – Messrs. Oldfin and Simions make a tour through the establishment to ascertain the number of lights requisite for lighting the House that the company might be thus enabled to give an estimate of the cost of lighting by electricity.

February 7, 1894 – The Electric Company agree to supply 96 drop lights and leave them in working order for the sum of two hundred and fifty dollars.

March 28, 1894 – General Council assemble to discuss to Electric Light question to which all the members thereof were not favorable.

April 5, 1894 – The Archbishop, Archdeacon Kelly and Fr. Neville call and His Grace gives approbation to all that has been proposed: Electric light, purchase of Routley property, addition and alteration at St. Joseph’s.

April 10, 1894 – General Superior and four Sisters visit the Hotel Dieu for purpose of deriving information concerning Electric Lighting system and fixtures. The Sisters of this Community very kindly explained everything in connection with this affair and much valuable information was obtained.

April 13, 1894 – Two Sisters, Mary Gabriel and Amable are sent to consult His Grace on the proposition of each Sister being at liberty to seek contributions from among their friends with a view to aid in defraying expenses connected with Electric Light. His Grace ever ready to help and encourage every undertaking, received the Sisters with great kindness, gave them permission to proceed and obtain all they could but warned them to go very quietly about it.

April 16, 1894 – Men commence preparation for electric light.

May 6, 1894 – Mr. Oldfin advises concerning Electric fixtures.

June 13, 1894 – Electric meter placed was 4/5 cent per hour.